Ok, so Dick and Bill suggested two similar approaches, one is to save a
completely empty macro, one with just ";" in the macro. Both work the
same way, and pressing M4-HOLD will flash "MACRO 2" and do nothing else,
as expected.
I don't remember how a "virgin" K3 behaves wrt empty M-keys, but I
suspect that what John observed is the expected behaviour.
Anyway, this mostly boils down to a curiosity, and the empty macro trick
does what I want to achieve for the moment, until I'll come up with
anothe use for it.
Thanks to all for your attention

Pf

    KU4AF> Hmm, further investigation shows this isn't the whole story.
Recording a CW
    KU4AF> or voice message to an Mx key does clear its MxT and MxH macro
assignments,
    KU4AF> but if I assign a new macro to either MxT or MxH (but not both),
that macro
    KU4AF> will then operate for both MxTap and MxHold.

    KU4AF> This oddity doesn't prevent assigning another macro to the
unintended Tap or
    KU4AF> Hold, but it does seem buggish. I guess if you really want the
unused key
    KU4AF> function to do nothing you could assign an empty macro to it.

    KU4AF> John, KU4AF
    KU4AF> Pittsboro, NC

    KU4AF> Pf,

    KU4AF> You can clear the macro from the M1-M4 keys by storing a CW or voice
message
    KU4AF> there. Just tap the REC key, then the M key, record the message and
tap the
    KU4AF> REC key again. If you don't want a message there, just tap the REC
key
    KU4AF> without recording anything.

    KU4AF> John, KU4AF
    KU4AF> Pittsboro, NC

    KU4AF> Pierfrancesco Caci wrote

    >> Many thanks for this nice example. Now, I would like to free up M4-HOLD,
    >> but I can't find anywhere in the manuals how to delete a macro
    >> assignment from one of the programmable keys. Is it possible at all, or
    >> should I just wait for when I come up with my next macro and just
    >> replace it?
    >>
    >> Pf

    KU4AF> --
    KU4AF> View this message in context:
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K3-Macro-toggle-tp7558366p7558817.html
    KU4AF> Sent from the Elecraft mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
    KU4AF> Elecraft mailing list
    KU4AF> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
    KU4AF> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
    KU4AF> Post: mailto:Elecraft@mailman.qth.net