Many years ago a friend and co-worker, now SK, had a qso with an Egyptian who was going to be in our city (then) on business so they arranged a meeting for coffee, and I was invited. He told of one country in that region where messages were by telegraph only, and a person in the hotel would pass them to a guest by saying the dots and dashes. (Try copying like that.) He said there were only seven hams in Egypt at the time.

Dick, n0ce

------ Original Message ------
From: "Ron D'Eau Claire" <r...@cobi.biz>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: 7/14/2013 6:31:05 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] O.T.: End of (another) era
Not exactly radio, but communications history. The headline reads:

Telegrams STOP: End of service delivering joy and heartache

The last telegrams are being sent in India. Story here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23271384

Bulbul Tewari, 73, is filling in forms to send telegrams to her four
grandchildren, aged between seven and 14, "so that when they are older, they
realise that this is the way messages were sent, once upon a time".

73, Ron AC7AC