From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Phil Kane
Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2013 7:23 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] O.T.: End of (another) era

On 7/14/2013 4:31 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> Not exactly radio, but communications history. The headline reads:
>
> Telegrams STOP: End of service delivering joy and heartache

This one does involve radio, on a channel that can be received by Elecraft
equipment that has general-coverage capability:

"COAST GUARD TERMINATION OF ITS 2 MHZ DISTRESS WATCHKEEPING SERVICE

"Effective 01 August, 2013, the U. S. Coast Guard will terminate its radio
guard of the international voice distress, safety and calling frequency 2182
kHz and the international digital selective calling (DSC) distress and
safety frequency 2187.5 kHz. Additionally, marine information and weather
broadcasts transmitted on 2670 kHz will terminate concurrently."

First 500 kc, now this, what's next - VHF Channel 16?

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402
T2-00000208

>From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest