Maybe I'm just deaf to the hiss everyone complains about, but I have to say my
impression of K3 receive audio is considerably different.  I do have the
modified board, etc.  And I haven't used the internal speaker since the first
day I finished the radio.

I do use a pair of RCA 40-5035 speakers that were sold by RatShack some years
ago but are long discontinued.  These look like the old Minimus 7 but are
larger and MUCH better, with a 5" speaker and leaf tweeter.  (I have 4 of these
in the shack, and use them on everything).  The K3 has enough gain to drive
them with plenty of audio.   In any case, the audio is full, clean, lacking in
hiss, and just generally good.  I do keep the bandwidth opened up to 3Khz or
more if conditions are suitable, and the station(s) on the other end aren't
using a straw for a transmit audio filter.

I generally find that if the receive audio is "tinny" it's because of what's
being transmitted …

YMMV, of course

Grant NQ5T