Trevor Dunne wrote:

> I am allmost ready to order my K3 but I keep reading about people that are
> unhappy with the RX audio,
>
> Is this still a problem ….

Hi Trevor,

No, it is not still a problem.

When the K3 first shipped, it had a few issues affecting audio that have all
since been corrected. First, we added a balanced audio low-pass filter to the
DSP board to remove sampling artifacts above 8 kHz that some operators could
hear. Next, we made two rounds of firmware changes to improve in-band audio
IMD. These changes included new AGC algorithms and a bug fix that corrected AGC
attack/decay linearity.

The K3's speaker amplifier is a type-AB linear device that can put out
considerable power into a pair of 4-ohm speakers. While it's true that
amplifiers in this class can have some low-level IMD products in the -60 to -80
dB range, I personally cannot hear them, and I have excellent hearing. The
headphone amplifier is fully class A and will be even cleaner.

What we hear from most K3 owners is how much they enjoy the full-stereo output
of the radio, which applies to both speakers and headphones. We provide audio
effects unique to the K3, including simulated stereo and left/right phase
inversion (AFX MD menu entry), and full control over main/sub RX audio panning
(L-MIX-R menu entry). These features can reduce fatigue and create a much
richer audio experience.

There is a small statistical probability that I'm biassed, so seek other
opinions as well :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR