On 12/26/2013 11:06 AM, Oliver Johns wrote:
I'd worry about sudden surges of high-intensity audio.

YES -- this is why I consider turning off AGC a really bad idea, especially in a contesting environment where you have the RF gain cranked to copy a very weak station and a guy calls you with a signal well over S9.

  They happen even in the best families.  Your ears could be badly damaged
before you could yank the Etymotics out.  I'd never, ever use in-ear headphones
in a ham-rig setting.

Absolutely no difference between in-ear and circumaural to the extent that the transducers are linear.

73, Jim K9YC