I've found it best to use minimal K3 output (Lin Out 1) and maxing the
levels on the SLUSB drivers.  Ideally, you want a sprinkling of snow on the
waterfalls, not a blizzard.  I also max the driver TX level then adjust the
Data A level to the proper level.  The knobs on the SLUSB are kept at noon
unless you need a finer tuning for current conditions.

If you see 'echoes' (harmonic related) of a strong signal on the waterfall,
you're overdriving your input; not to be confused with IMD (shadows) being
sent by some when THEY are overdriving their audio.

It's also a great tool for operating remotely by routing Skype audio to/from
the SLUSB and NOT getting OS sounds (or ring sounds) accidentally sent out
on the air.

You may have small issues on the JT modes if you do not have TCXO as the
transmitter heats up (slight freq drift).  I've always had the TCXO, so I
can't confirm that.  Others may comment about that.  The slower the shift
rate, the more critical the frequency accuracy is.

Thankfully, the line TX setting is separate from the Data A TX level setting
which is also different from the Mic settings so you don't have to
(remotely) reset the levels each time you change modes.  Great job Elecraft!

73,
Rick wa6nhc
Cameron Park, Ca