Mike,

The K3 power starts out lower and builds up to the requested level - that should happen in just a second or two. I *believe* it takes a little longer with the more constant audio of digital modes than it does with SSB syllabic speech or intermittent CW. IMHO, that is a whole lot better than having a power spike at the beginning as happens with some other rigs which depend on ALC to control the power output. The K2/K3/KX3 power control system is a closed loop with the processor inside the loop, so it must sense the actual power output before any correction is applied.

If you want to circumvent that buildup, transmit briefly into a dummy load right after a band change or a change in the setting of the power control or a mode change. As you have observed, it only happens on the first transmission.

73,
Don W3FPR