Hi Arlen,

Welcome to the group and the Elecraft Kool Aid.

I will presume that you'll get the tuner, serial interface and perhaps the TCXO module for digital stability. I consider that to be a basic K3/100 (as opposed to a bare K3 with no options). If you are NOT planning on those, they are the first three options you should get. Otherwise;

If you plan on working much DX, you'll find that unless you build a mega-station, that you WILL want to work CW (avery high percentage of DX is on CW only). That means that you will want at least the 400 KHz filter, which works well enough for digital as well. For phone, I like the 1.8 KHz filter, then the FM/AM filter is you plan on those modes (hint: 6 and 10 meters has been wide open this week). Read the discussion on filters on the Elecraft pages, it'll help. I have the 5 slots filled (and in the KRX3).

Having the KRX3 sub-receiver is a GREAT tool so you can hear stations working the DX which gives you a major clue where to transmit. My suggestion is that you match the filter sets between receivers (same in both). You can also have diversity receive or listen on other bands at the same time; a pretty handy tool.

The P3 is an absolute KILLER tool for DX hunting. You can see the DX AND the stations (pileup), figure out where the DX is listening (watch the spikes, is there a pattern?) and/or find a quieter slot. Your time is better spent and your 'attacks' are more productive. Once you get a P3, you'll wonder why you ever went without one and you'll feel blinded when you don't have one.

With this combination, I've worked 216 countries on a simple dipole in the last 2.5 years. Plus a BUNCH of band/modes. [Ok, the KPA500 helps but I couldn't use that until I got the KAT500.]

So my suggestions are a full filter set, KRX3 and P3. It all depends on how much of a loan you gave Uncle. ;o) It isn't cheap but if you want the best it's worth it. Besides you won't find the level of support that you can get from Elecraft. What you don't get now can be added later, along with other neat toys like transverters, pre-amps, general coverage receiver board, SVGA board...

Finally, get the kits, not the factory built. Not only will you save money (its easier to build than any Heathkit if you're old enough to know about that) you will see what is involved should you have to make an addition, repair or modification.

73,
Rick wa6nhc
a well dressed K3, P3, KPA500, KAT500