I just travelled round trip between Michigan and Arizona with a KX1 in my carry-on luggage. The rig was inside some foam packing, with rubber bands around it, in a laptop case. I also had a rack of 8 AA alkaline batteries, antenna wire, etc., along with an iPad, Kindle, digital camera, a couple of magazines, and a cell phone charger all in the case. I sent the bag through the scanner without opening it up. It didn't trigger an alarm and I was not asked to open it up or explain anything. It was my first experience with taking radio gear on a plane and I was surprised.

73,
Paul - N8XMS