I have traveled extensively for my work on airlines for the past 20 years. I
have taken my QRP rigs on many airlines with wires cables and my HFp potable
antenna as carry on. I have never been asked to open my bag as carry on. I have
also taken lots of test equipment as carry on and have never been questioned.
That is not to say you might be asked to open your checked baggage. It has been
my experience to just be patient with the TSA guys and do what they ask. Keep a
smile on your face. What ever you do don't give TSA a big attitude and you will
be fine. The TSA folks are just doing their job to keep everyone safe even if
you do not agree with how they do it. I have also gone to Canada from the US
and back many times without issue.

Just my two cents worth
Glenn Maclean WA7SPY