My recent previous rig was the FT897 so by comparison the K3 has trully
wonderful ergonomics. I accept that having multifunction controls is not ideal
but that has to be weighed against a front panel twice as big. I am happy with
the choices made by Elecraft - as they say "one cannot simultaneously optimise
all variables" and engineering (as a principle) accepts this as a premise. OK
there are a couple that are twiddly but virtually all those I use regularly are
where I need them to be rather than buried deep in a multi-layered menu - you
can probably tell I hate multi-layered menus. In fact the two reasons I choose
Elecraft is that 1) I cant stand menus and 2) thats its a world class CW rig
(PSK has similar needs and I use PSK).

I accept Ian White's observations regarding the lack of progress in recent
times with K3 firmware mods - we dont surely want a stream of them, but it
would be nice to know that there are still plans afoot for some enhancements.
It's this lack of any "road map" for the K3 which I find difficult - surely
this is not too much to ask. Not for a detailed plan but at least for a comment
on things which are in the pipeline?? If left to "rot on the vine" the K3 will,
in time, fall behind other vendors rigs which would be very sad to say the
least.

Andy
G4HUE

BTW Ian, I was at QMC at the same time as yourself but you were a few years
older than myself.