I too am an 'old' K3 owner (in more than one sense). I have K3 #0007. Yes, /seven/. I was one of the incredibly lucky members of a focus group when the K3 was still in prototype form.

I love my K3 as much as anyone can 'love' a radio. But I agree with Dave, Joe and Ian that the K3 still has some rough edges.

My analysis is that this is an economic problem. Elecraft has to pay the bills, which they can't do unless they sell stuff. I once suggested to Wayne that he charge something for 'premium' firmware, possibly with specialized features that not everyone would want. That would give them some revenue to finance continued development for existing products.

He told me -- in no uncertain terms -- that Elecraft would never, ever charge anything for firmware updates.

In any transaction you get what you pay for, and we have no way to pay for continued K3 development.