I have to compare the K2 firmware development and its time span with the firmware development of the K3. The K2 was introduced in 1999 and its firmware was improved to add new functions up until about 2006 (about the time the K3 was being developed). Yes, the update rate slowed considerably over time, and besides the K2 firmware cost the builder extra dollars. Since 2006, there were only 2 additional firmware updates - MCU 2.04P/IOC 1.09 to support the addition of the K2 Keying waveshape mod and the K60XV and then later MCU 2.04r was released with the only change being the selection of a sidetone source between U6 pin 25 and U8 pin 4 was restricted to U8 pin 4 because of numerous support calls and emails because "My K2 has lost its sidetone". There will likely be no more K2 firmware updates unless it is required to support a change required by an obsolete component that is no longer available - the K2 is a mature product. The most active firmware development was in the first 4 years.

As for the K3, yes firmware updates slowed as development work on the KX3 was coming on line at Elecraft which kept the K3 MCU and DSP firmware (and hardware) developers busy with KX3 tasks, but there *have* been K3 firmware updates during that timeframe too, they were just slower coming. The K3 was first available in 2008 which makes it now almost 6 years old - like the K2, firmware upgrades were most active in the first 4 years - plus, the firmware upgrades for the K3 are at no cost to the owner. Development cost for firmware upgrades do exist, and there is no cost recovery for Elecraft except that produced by new K3 sales and the introduction on new products to amortize that cost.

Keep in mind that there are two primary firmware developers who share their efforts between the K3 and KX3 (one for the K2). Other firmware developers were brought on line for the P3, the KPA500, the KAT500, and the KXPA100/KXAT100, but those developers are multitasking too, and they have to focus their efforts on the higher priority items - one of which *may* be the new product that is to be revealed this weekend.

That is not to say that things still "on the K3 list" will not get attention, I am only saying that the rate will slow down given development time taken from the necessary attention to the 'new goodies' from Elecraft. Elecraft is not large enough to allow one employee to dedicate all his time to a single development task, so all are multitasking at all times. When I was with IBM, such dedication to a single task was possible, but Elecraft is nowhere the size of IBM and does not have those huge resources available.

73,
Don W3FPR