On Tue,7/28/2015 10:57 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
I agree, the audio, compared to other radios, seemed to be "strained".

Both Bob and I are retired from careers in pro audio and broadcasting. I've never had even the least dissatisfaction with audio from my K3s. I'm a contester and DXer, prefer CW but also do SSB contests to contribute to club efforts, and almost never do casual ragchewing. I mostly use headphones, either Sony MDR7506 or Yamaha CM500. I use the speaker for casual listening -- monitoring while I'm in the shack or running digital modes.

73, Jim K9YC