From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of
Stephen Shearer
Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2015 8:31 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Fwd: Re: [OT] increasing CW copy speed: practice
slow -v- practice fast

Sounds great.  It should work.  I know I need to practice...

I have another problem....
How do I put this...  Sloppy sending?

I notice (particularly in contests) that many ops run the characters
together.  I can't copy and my KX3 can't copy.  Good keyers add the proper
spacing between characters and words.  Bugs, straight keys, and simple
keyers don't (can't) add the spacing automatically.
I tried the zombie shuffle, all I or my KX3 got was cqtest, others were were
copying fine.
comments?

steve WB3LGC

On 06-Dec-15 3:00 AM, Robert Harmon wrote:

> [...]
> day and if you miss a day, no worries,
> jump back in.   Many hams never improve their speed and are content when
> they reach around 20 wpm max.  In many chasing DX and contest
> operating CW activities it gives you an big advantage to be able to
> operate at higher speeds.  We have all heard the high speed ops during
> a contest and marvel at how fast their contacts go by.  It is great to
> be able to match their speed and grab a contact !  Its not that
> difficult folks, just 10 minutes a day of concentrated practice.  As
> you are gaining your speed don't get frustrated over losing a word or
> words when you are in a CW QSO and losing the intelligibility of the
> conversation,  that happens to all of us and will be remedied when you
copying speed is increased.
> Lastly, you will with practice, increase your "comfortable" copy speed
> to upwards of 30 to 35 wpm and more.
> You will be able to really enjoy morse as a language.  You will sit
> there and listen to sentences and paragraphs go by in your head with
> complete understanding.  It is very enjoyable !
>

> 73,
> Bob
> K6UJ
>

> On 12/5/15 11:54 AM, Bill Rowlett wrote:
>> The best way to learn CW is the same as learning any language, by the
>> sound of the letters or charters. The speed you use to practice is
>> not important, it is writing down the letter when heard, over and
>> over again. K7QO has a CW program on his site which does just that.
>> Also, it is finding the time and dedication to put in the time
>> needed. K7QO by the way has won copy contest at over 100wpm, he knows
what he speaks.

>> Just my two cents. Now, back to the practice.
>>
>> 73 and good DX
>>
>> Bill  KC4ATU
>>

>> On Dec 5, 2015, at 2:37 PM, Kevin Stover<kevin.sto...@mediacombb.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've always thought the Farnsworth method was directly responsible
>>> for the "10 wpm wall" newcomers were running into. Reading "The Art
>>> and Skill of Radio Telegraphy" Pierpont says the same thing. By
>>> stretching the time between words you give people more time to
>>> translate. if your going to copy Morse faster than about 10wpm you
>>> don't have time to translate. You have to know the character as soon
>>> as you hear it without using the look up table in your head. The
>>> Koch method has no exaggerated spacing between words or elements.
>>> You want to be proficient at 35 wpm, you practice with dit/dah and
>>> word speed set for 35 wpm.
>>>
>>> Building speed on the air is great as long as the code you are
>>> copying is "good" code meaning close to properly spaced and timed
>>> code. The nice thing about the computer programs is they send
>>> perfect code. With G4FON you can make it more realistic by adding
>>> QRM, QRN and QSB in varying levels. The only thing your missing is
>>> an old timer on his bug sending with the "Lake Erie Swing".

>>> AC0H

>>> Help:http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm

delivered to w...@comcast.net