I agree with you there Bob. I know my CW speed jumped when I worked the high level CW nets (EAN) and suddenly HAD to copy fast and accurate! I think in a few weeks I went from 20 to 29 wpm, my limit for printing each character. There was no way I was going to keep asking for fills.

It was, however, many years later until I finally broke away from printing and started copying in my head. IMO, when you get at the 35-40 wpm level, CW totally changes and starts to become more like a normal person to person conversation.

Unfortunately, I was off the air for a dozen years and have not regained that speed.

On a different topic you mentioned, I HATE Farnsworth. Yes, maybe it's a good way for people to learn but they fail to transistion to sending proper code. There are too many people sending Farnsworth on the air and it is improper and sloppy code. It's a shortcut to doing things right and it has a high penalty.

Ken WA8JXM