Don...

For sure, individual differences make for a big difference, both in the rate of learning and the appropriateness of any one approach. I think we all agree that "stretching your current copying speed" is the only way to get faster. That's certainly my experience. I think my curiosity comes down to how much "stretch" is the sweet spot [individual difference aside]. Lots of stretch - few characters/words copied, versus some stretch - most characters/words copied.

Speaking of individual factors... I was just practicing with Rufz and noticed how long I "hang" on the first character which inevitably leads to subsequent errors. So, I pushed myself to almost "ignore" the first character and move right along. Overall error rate dropped significantly. So, yes, lots going on. Nothing beats practicing, for sure. Have a good day.

...robert