Hi Jim,

On 7/19/2016 12:51 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

Remember that whether or not you hear more noise with the system running
will depend on how much OTHER noise there is in your neighborhood. Some
(many?) of us have background noise in the range of S8, others in the
range of S3. The difference is 25 dB.

Good point. When not in Monsoon season my K3 S meter is around S2 with my 160 meter inverted V up about 50 ft with about 150 ft of RG8 type coax. Right now jumps up much higher during static crashes but storms all around us. We live in a rural area long way from high voltage power lines and perhaps from plasma TVs and electric fences.

It's worth looking for a quiet MPPT charge regulator. Just like any
other electronics that generate or use square waves, it can be done well
or it can be done badly. Since badly is cheaper, and done well requires
more technical design expertise, badly is by far the most common. The
Genasun regulators are pretty quiet, but so far, they only make units
for much smaller systems.

I'll keep looking for quiet MPPT charge controllers. My battery bank is 1200 amp-hr at 12 volts. Thanks!

73, tom w7sua

73, Jim K9YC