In case anyone's interested, I decided not to go with Solar City. I think they would have done a fine job of installing a standard, off-the-shelf solar system with a 20-year warranty that would have worked fine as far as providing solar power. I was planning to buy it outright rather than lease and I'm convinced that the investment would have paid for itself in reduced electricity costs.

But I was worried about RF interference from the inverter, basically a 3000-watt switching power supply attached to the side of my house. So instead I have decided to go with a local company that is willing to work with me on RFI issues, even though their price is higher. Rather than one big inverter, their system uses "micro-inverters" mounted on each solar panel. They did some research and found that it is possible to get extension cables to go between each micro-inverter and its panel and between each micro-inverter and the power bus. The extra length can accommodate a common-mode choke by wrapping several turns of the cable through a ferrite core.

So the plan is to install the system without chokes and see if there is any interference. If so, then I will buy the extra cables and ferrite cores and install the chokes. For testing purposes I can just temporarily disconnect all the panels but one and then apply whatever works with one to them all.

Alan N1AL