Hey Fred,

Verticals - it's all I run.  I've played with them and researched them
off and on for several years.  I'm no expert but here is a quick summary
of what I've learned.

Vertical efficiency depends on ground conduction in two fields.  Near
field (which can be enhanced by radials) and far field (out of your
control).  Radiation patterns are greatly affected by ground conduction
in the far field so don't expect yagi-crushing performance from a
vertical unless you're surrounded by salt water.  The near field you
have some control over.  The better job you do of screening the ground
at the base of the antenna, the higher the efficiency and the more of
your signal gets radiated.  A minimum ground system is something like 16
radials, .15 wave long.  Better performance can be achieved with 104
radials, 0.5 wave long.

But that's all theory, what about practice?

If you have a way to support a horizontal antenna 1/2 wave in the air,
it's a better way to go.  I don't so I'm "vertical bound".

Cushcraft R6000 and HyGain AV640 have received good reviews from folks.
Cushcraft MA5V is not a good antenna due to very narrow bandwidth (I had
one - never again).  I've heard good and bad reviews of the GAP
antennas.  Some love them, others say it performs poorly on all bands.
Force 12 look interesting but IIRC have a requirement of keeping the
feedline at a right angle for some distance.  I may be wrong on this so
check it out.

I have yet to see a good head-to-head of various verticals.  My theory
is that most of the commercial antennas perform about the same provided
you give an adequate radial field to those that need it.

Butternut is a tried & true antenna.  Hustler 4BTV or 5BTV is very
inexpensive and works just fine, thank you.  Both of these require
radials & neither covers all the WARC bands.

If you want to use only a few radials, elevate them.  Eight raised
radials can equal 60 or more buried radials.

If I were in your shoes (I'm close), I'd go with R6000 or AV640 and
would try to mount them as high as possible.

The best thing you can do to your antenna is to put RF into it.  You'll
make lots more contacts on a middle-of-the-road antenna that regularly
sees RF than on a top-notch radiator that sits idle.  And yes, you can
make lots of contacts and have lots of fun on a mediocre antenna.  I
certainly have.

- Keith KD1E -
- K2 5411 -