I'm vertical bound at my home qth also as well as in a restricted neighborhood.

I installed a 29' home brew self supporting vertical on one of my fence posts.
I then ran two elevated radials along the fence at 90 degrees, one to the north
and one to the east.  Both are about 30' long.

I use an SGC-239 auto tuner 200 watt model (installed in a water proof
fiberglass box) at the base of the antenna and it works just great.   I use it
mainly for the WARC bands.  The only bands I have trouble with are 10 and 80
meters.    I think the antenna is a little long on 10 meters and on 80 I get rf
in the shack.  I'm guessing that the coax is probably acting as part of the
antenna.  I will probably install a feed line current choke near the antenna.

In my situation I think a vertical works well because of my ground conductivity
here in Amarillo.  According to the FCC chart my ground conductivity is 30
millimhos per meter which is the best you can do other than salt water.  See
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/m3/

When things are tough or I'm trying to work a new country I connect to my
remote hf system that has full size wires and a tribander.

So if a vertical is the only way to go, put up a piece of aluminum and attach
at least one radial/counter poise and get after it.  Mine as well keep it
simple.

Rich - N5ZC