Dave's observation is about how the antenna actually works, as determined by Mother Nature, and, depending how the antenna is rigged, he's probably right. Antennas work by carrying RF current, any end fed radiator needs a counterpoise, which, because it's carrying the same RF current as the end fed radiator, CAN ALSO RADIATE. Indeed, this antenna, depending on how it's deployed, can be thought of as an off-center fed dipole.

Back when I lived in Chicago, I had another "ad hoc" antenna that was effective on 80 and 160M. My shack was on the second floor, the antenna was a loaded resonant dipole tuned to 80 and 40 that sort of worked on 30 and 15, and was fed by vintage 75 ohm Belden "kilowatt twin lead." To use it on 160M, I ran two wires down to both sides of a wrought iron fence that ran around my front yard (both sides because it was broken by a gate). The wire and the fence functioned as a counterpoise, and the vertical wires radiated (and modified the resonance). As it turned out, that antenna loaded that way worked better on 80 than it did loaded as dipole, simply because the dipole wasn't very high (35-40 ft). I'm reminded that my buddy KK9H used the air conditioning ducts in his home as a counterpoise on 160M. We've worked several times since I moved to W6.

There are photos and a description of my Chicago antenna weedpatch (won't dignify it by calling it an antenna farm) in

http://k9yc.com/LimitedSpaceAntennasPPT.pdf

73, Jim K9YC