It is easy to cancel the radiation from the 'counterpoise' - use 2 equal length wires running in opposite directions from the base. The horizontal radiation from each will cancel, and all you have left is the loaded vertical radiator to radiate with vertical polarization.

If they are on the ground, the cancellation may not be as uniform.
For further information read the section on verticals in any Antenna Handbook - even my Antenna Handbook from the late 1950s cover it.

73,
Don W3FPR