From what I have seen, it is not just Internet and Cellular that has stolen
some thunder from ham radio as an interesting hobby to pursue.  It is also
computer gaming.  Both of my grandsons are into computer games (both in high
school now) and both are involved in programming computers (some motivation
from me as being a programmer for 50+ years) and they both want to pursue
computer programming of games.  I hope that changes but this has seriously
diminished any interest in ham radio and they both have grown up known about my
hobby, electronics, and such.

Computer Internet gaming offers some of the same features of ham radio of
meeting people all over the world that you did not know before hand.  Gaming is
one of the Internet based activities that creates International friendships and
cross culture exchanges.  Surprising, who would have thought.

I admit that if I were a kid growing up with today’s technology that I probably
would not be interested in ham radio.

73, phil, K7PEH