Good Evening,

   After a wet, cool week today feels very nice.  Sunny skies, no wind, temperature rose to 79 F.  It is nice to walk outside without the bugs around.  The spiders eat them.  The Canada jays are migrating to lower limbs eating more bugs.  A few followed me around today as I inspected the cleared area.  Elk found the opening last week and are locating what's edible.

   The sun did not send many flares this week, but there is a steady stream of ions on the way.  When the sun dried things out I laid my newly built antenna on the roof, routed some coax from the outside into the radio room, and knotted guy rope on either end. I tied one end to the rope holding up my 1/4 wave vertical.  I tied the other end to the rope holding up my other vertical antenna.  Thus I did not need to waste a day shooting, and losing, sinkers to guide leader lines.  I have never tried a resonant, flat topped dipole before.  I've always had a rope at the feed point as well as one at both ends.  This normally gives me an inverted V.  So this antenna is more directive.   It favors a swath from Upper Michigan down to northern Florida.  On RBN I find a 6 dB difference between my 1/4 wave vertical and this new dipole.

Please join us on (or near):

14050 kHz at 2200z Sunday (3 PM PDT Sunday)
 7047 kHz at 0000z Monday (5 PM PDT Sunday)

   73,
      Kevin. KD5ONS

-

https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-scientists-are-tackling-the-tricky-task-of-solar-cycle-prediction-20230907/