Good Evening,

   It has been cool, wet, and foggy.  Today it snowed for a while.  Some of it stuck.  The sun rose above my southern horizon today.  It hides behind the mountain for a few weeks around the solstice, increasing the gloom factor.

   The sun looks uncluttered, but it is pretty active.  At least two X class flares shut down shortwave this week.  However, there are no CMEs currently heading our way.  We should have quiet conditions with mild QSB tomorrow.

Please join us on (or near):

14050 kHz at 2300z Sunday  (3 PM PST Sunday)
 7047 kHz at 0100z Monday  (5 PM PST Sunday)

73,
      Kevin.  KD5ONS

-

Long ago, when the world was young, porcupines had no quills. One day when Porcupine was in the woods, Bear came along and wanted to eat him.  But Porcupine climbed to the top of a tree and was safe.  The next day, when Porcupine was under a hawthorn tree, he noticed how the thorns pricked him.  He had an idea.  He broke off some of the branches of the hawthorn and put them on his back.  Then he went into the woods and waited for Bear.  When Bear sprang on Porcupine, the little animal just curled himself up in a ball.  Bear had to go away, for the thorns pricked him very much.

Nanabozho saw what happened.  He called Porcupine to him and asked, "How did you know that trick?"

"I am always in danger when Bear comes along," replied Porcupine. "When I saw those thorns, I thought I would use them."