Howdy Folks,
I've been swamped this week so if you wrote me a note I am sorry I've not been able to reply. I got called back to work and we have had a lot of snow at the higher elevations each of which complicate my life ;) Work is good though, I like the paychecks! And snow is very nice as long as it does not make the trees snap or me wind up in a ditch somewhere out in the boonies. 4WD vehicles are great but they can get you very, very stuck if you're not careful! So, I drive like a little old lady which is not my normal rate of travel! Today I went to the local fire station as a volunteer examiner in hopes of testing the very last few folks interesting in taking Element One. Such was not the case; the head VE and I were sadly disappointed. We filled out a ton of CSCEs with very few form 605s. Folks wanted to pass the General exam and await the upcoming publication of the FCC decision in the National Register. I know some of the folks taking their exams are interested in operating via CW however since they asked about local practice sessions. We gave them a number of alternatives so they will be on the air if all goes well. That being said I've not had too much time to work CW myself this week. Except for an hour each morning running CW on January 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, I've not tried HF at all. Hopefully 20 and 40 meters will be open tomorrow. I know there was a solar stream causing aurora because my ex-sister-in-law wrote me a note from Norway telling me of them. No photos but she had a great time hiking the hills near her house and watching the show. Last night when I arrived home after work, errands, and chores the snow was at a perfect state. I opened the truck door to take my groceries into the house and got drenched with a slushy mixture of snow and rain. The trees were sloughing off the six inches of snow and trying to make sure I got a decent coating of it before I got into the house! Sam wondered why I was in his spot next to the stove ;) I was cold! But a good load of wood and then cooking for a he and I got the house warmed up and me warmed up too. Remember: the net times are an hour earlier so we can fight the darkness. I have been noticing, and my sister-in-law (ex) Bjørg said: "Our days are 20 minutes longer, not that we notice it much so far!". Well this evening I was caught in a coffee house with a fellow VE discussing embedded system engineering when his wife called to find out where in the world he'd gotten off to. When he expressed (pseudo) dismay at it being 5 O'Clock I looked outside and saw there was still a glimmer in the sky. I've been noticing a change in the season however slight. But, then, I need to bring wood in so, since the wood shed is not lighted, I must take along a flashlight if it is too dark. Even twenty minutes is noticeable if your cycle is driven by the sun. When the bands permit it we will switch back to 0000z and 0300z.

  Please join us:

Sunday 2300z (Sunday 3 PM PST) 14050 kHz
Monday 0200z (Sunday 6 PM PST)  7045 kHz

      Kevin.  KD5ONS

P.S. Tomorrow is a special date for me.  You get to guess why :)
   KJR