Good Evening,
Tomorrow at 2300z there will be quite a bit of activity on 20 meters. If I can find a spot and hold it for ten minutes or so we can start the net at its early time. If I cannot find a spot due to the weary contesters trying for just a little more DX we'll just go with 40 meters and call it a day. We could postpone the 20 meter net until 0000z but then the band seems to lose all efficacy to the East. I'd rather find a spot during the waning minutes of the contest and hold it than postpone the net.

Calling by geographic area has worked rather well. I am streamlining it to East, Mid, and All to make things easier (more for me than for you :) Here is the shortened list by number.

East (1, 2, 3, 4 plus anything from across the Atlantic Ocean)
Mid  (1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 5, and 0)
All  (1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 5, 0, 6, 7, and anything from across the Pacific)

If you have a call sign which does not match your area (like me) then stick with the intent of the system. That is to allow the folks in the East to get preferential treatment at the very start of the net. This is because propagation for them closes rapidly and so I can hear the weaker signals (from my perspective) without having to work between the closer and louder stations. Don't worry, we will get to you, I run the nets until I get no further check ins. Some of you don't even turn on your rigs until twenty minutes after the hour or later. I try to keep going for at least thirty minutes so I don't miss them. Normally this is not a problem since there are some many folks on the air. Even if I am simply calling CQ over and over and over I keep going until xx:30 unless I am getting pushed by a poor starving cat (or a poor starving Kevin for that matter :)

I hope you are all having fun in the DX contest. I had very good weather here so I spent my time outside cutting and splitting more wood. It had been quite a spell since I had been able to go out without getting drenched. I have plenty of inside work to do but I get cabin fever when I can't get outside and do my chores. The exercise helps me sit at a desk and write code. I have had my radio on 20 meters and caught a few interesting call signs. One of these years I will participate.

If any of you have used Eagle CAD I could use a few pointers. This is out of my area of expertise but I am willing to learn. I've gotten the schematic through ERC and I am working with the DRC. I am unsure how to get my signal and power paths sized correctly and how to lay down a ground plane. I am not doing any RF boards (yet) and am only going to make double sided boards for the moment. I am going to farm out the etching and drilling though. I've done it myself but the drilling by hand is a real pain. Any advice on good prototyping fabs would be appreciated.

In review:
1) Hail signs  (first letter or two of the suffix of your call)
2) Call by geographic area (East, Mid, All)
3) NCS help is always appreciated (as well as QSP/QNP <relay> help)

   Please join us:

Sunday 2300z (Sunday 3 PM PST) 14050 kHz
Monday 0200z (Sunday 6 PM PST)  7045 kHz
   Kevin.  KD5ONS