Good Evening,
Twenty meters was fantastic this week. Forty meters has been good too. On twenty I've been turning down the gain and pushing the headphones very far forward. This makes hearing the sidetone more difficult but it does offer some protection from the very loud signals. The ionosphere has been getting a steady dose of solar radiation lately from the coronal holes. We are supposed to get a strong solar wind stream on the 22nd. I think I will tune up on 15 or even 10 meters after it perks up the conditions to see what I can hear. The winds have died down and we've not had any rain in two days. In fact I saw the sun which is not normal for this time of year. Since it was dry I have gotten in a few good hikes. Today I was wondering about a white cloud on the horizon. To it's right was the normal, albeit rare, view of Mt. Adams. It finally dawned on me: I was seeing the truncated cone of Mt. St. Helens! I had never seen it from the property before. Then I started scanning around the 'cloud' and realized the latest clearcut has provided a gap so I can see the top thousand feet or so of the mountain. Before the top blew off it would have been an easy sight from here. Must have been something to watch the sky fill with ash and the friction created lightning within it. I took another inventory of trees by walking the southern edge of the property. We lost about a dozen fir trees. The cedar, alder, and hemlock can withstand windstorms but the Douglas fir cannot. Only the first ten yards of trees were effected, the rest are fine. I am glad the trees closest to the house are the most mature and were able to withstand the blow. I'd have lost my antennas and maybe part of the house if they had failed under the wind pressure. Over the rest of the property the broken, hanging branches and the leaning trees were brought down. Now I have plenty of firewood for the coming years. Let's hope for the wonderful propagation conditions I experienced throughout the week to prevail for tomorrow evening's nets. I hope to hear you. If you can hear someone I cannot please don't hesitate to relay that station in. It makes the nets more fun when the effort is spread among many operators.

     Please join us:
Monday 0000z (Sunday 4 PM PST) 14050 kHz
Monday 0300z (Sunday 7 PM PST)  7045 kHz

    Kevin.  KD5ONS