Lynn

When something is intermittent like you describe, first suspect that elusive
unsoldered connection.

If it works from the K2 panel, but does not work with control through the
computer interface, check the components shown on sheet 2 of the KPA100
schematic in the lower left corner labeled "RS232 Interface" first, then
check the K2 Control Board P4 pins 1 and 3 and Pins 25 and 26 of U1.  It
sounds like the TXD path is working, but the RXD path is not, but check them
both.

73,
Don W3FPR