John & Don....thanks for your feedback!  Sound like it should be a cinch.
I'll pack up the rig & PS & take to work with me tomorrow where I have
workbench with good magnified lighting & my soldering iron on standby.
Hope to be back to you in a couple of days with good news that I've found
the culprit connection.  73, Lynn, K5AVJ
====================================
When something is intermittent like you describe, first suspect that
elusive
unsoldered connection.
If it works from the K2 panel, but does not work with control through the
computer interface, check the components shown on sheet 2 of the KPA100
schematic in the lower left corner labeled "RS232 Interface" first, then
check the K2 Control Board P4 pins 1 and 3 and Pins 25 and 26 of U1.  It
sounds like the TXD path is working, but the RXD path is not, but check
them
both.....73,Don W3FPR
This sounds to me like the classic bad solder connection: sometimes it
works perfectly and sometimes it doesn't work at all. If you can tune in
the oscillator when the interface isn't working, you might concentrate
your inspection from J1 to U1 and J2. Also, your tests indicate the K2 can
send data, but is not receiving it. That narrows your search even more.
Look at the schematic. Follow the signal from J1(pin 3) to U1(pins 6 and
11) and finally to J2(pin 3). But the board is so small that I'd double
check all the connections, including the RS232 cable, just to make sure.
Hope this helped.73's,John AA0VE