Hi David --

  Thanks for your interest in this arcane subject.

When a signal just a little bit above the trigger point for the attenuation reflex appears, it takes about 150 ms before attenuation develops. For a very strong signal, the reflex is faster (25-35 ms) but there is still a period when the full power of the signal slams all the way through to the inner ear.

73,
-- Eric K3NA