Hi Dave --

There is a lot of information about hearing available on the web. As always, one should cross-check sources and exercise some skepticism.

Hearing is logarithmic. Turning down the gain makes it more likely that signals will stay below the triggering threshold for the attenuation reflex, so signals will remain more "different" in strength.

Frequency discrimination, in Hz, is better at lower frequencies than at higher frequencies. The optimum point for greatest frequency discrimination depends on the individual. Mine is around 400 Hz. Some people are lower, some higher... but 400-500 Hz is a good starting point. Hearing is less sensitive (and dynamic range is a little smaller) at lower frequencies, so there are tradeoffs. There was an on-line test for frequency discrimination available on the web... so try a search.

73,
  -- Eric K3NA