I began to learn code at 50 (now 56) and got my ticket about 5 years ago.  It
has been a LOT OF FUN!  The longest transition was from writing everything
down to copying in my head, but it was certainly worth the effort.  I am
typically operating at about 25 wpm but try to slow down to match a calling
station's speed, primarily using Farnsworth spacing so I do not have to keep
fiddling with the keyer speed control.  This approach usually results in the
other party sending comments like "FB CPY ALL".  But back to biggest mistake
for a newbie:  not sending "PLS QRS" if I am sending too fast!  This may be
because they are embarassed or whatever.  Like Ron, I have no problem
slowing down as much as necessary (below 10 wpm gets a little tedious
though!) But I would sure appreciate being told to cool it rather than just
having the rag chew cut short.  Regardless -- PLS GET ON THE CW SUBBANDS AND
CALL CQ -- I will be looking for you!  73 es God Bless de Ken - N4OI - K1