Ron, as usual, you have succinctly put into words a real life experience
that I can see, may parallel some of my limited experience. I have followed
this thread closely as well as the comments about using the Farnsworth
method and based on some of the comments, thought "OMG - I've been doing it
wrong"!

I've only been doing this ham thing for a couple of years, so I am certainly
in the "learning" group as it pertains to cw. After writing everything down
for the first few months, I quickly realized that in order to become
proficient at rag chewing, I needed to learn code like regular vocal
conversation. I began to head copy and just make notes of important info -
and I did it at very slow speeds at the beginning and have now ramped up to
about 10-13 wpm comfortably. I have also noticed that as I am starting to
hear words, head copy is a little easier at faster speeds - I begin to lose
track of the "visual string" of characters at slower speeds. It is like the
buffer in my head is time constrained not character constrained.

I think the Farnsworth method has worked for me in that I am able to
recognize the characters at a faster speed, but I still need the longer
inter-character spacing to form the word comprehension in my head. With that
said, I can see how many who now have the rhythm down at higher speeds would
hear that as a distraction based on a time constrained head buffer. I have
found many who use the Farnsworth method on the air and I tend to work them
more often than not. When I hear code where there is little inter-character
spacing, it just sound like a long run on of code goop at this point. I'm
hoping that will change as I become more proficient.

I also realize that I should get on the air more often (at least once a
day), but at this point it is just not doable with my current life schedule.
When I only have a few minutes of "down" time, I do try to sit at the radio
and just listen. This does keep my head into it and so far, I don't seem to
lose any speed I've gained by not engaging in a QSO. Sometimes I've gone a
month without a contact, but at least I've listened almost everyday. I am
going to make a concentrated effort to get on the air more often this
summer.

So, with my limited experience and based on some of the comments I've read
here, I think the "method" I'm using is slowly working. I can't wait until
it all "clicks" and I hear regular word conversation that many of you have
described. It was frustrating at first, but I can now see (I should say
"hear") that it can happen.

Anyway, thanks Ron, for your words have acted as encouragement for me to
continue down this path. It should also allow me to work others at any speed
and help out someone in the future who is starting out like me. It is the
least I could do after all of those who have done it for me.

73,
Dave W8FGU