I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!

I cannot easily switch between paddles/keyer and bug unless I take special
precautions when using the keyer.

I built an "Accu-Keyer" in the 1970s because it was new and interesting. But
the day came, twenty years later, when I set it aside for 99% of my
operating in favor of a bug, largely because the bug was more challenging
and interesting for me to use. But it took me many hours of practice to
learn to use the bug well again after two decades with my iambic keyer.

On the rare occasions when I use a keyer nowadays I use it like a "bug",
operating the dash paddle just like I do when using the bug, so I don't
"forget" how to make dashes properly, and I carefully avoid falling back
into iambic mode or I'll be trying to squeeze my bug paddles again!

I find practice important. Part of my operating time each week is spent
practicing CW, usually sending some random text or a page out of the phone
book, addresses, numbers and all.

>From time to time, I record my fist and listen to it again the *next* day to
ensure it's a fist I'd like to copy on the air and to identify what I can
focus on to improve.

I don't think there's any skill humans pursue that doesn't deserve regular,
on-going practice if it's worth keeping at all, and daily use doesn't
entirely replace practice. Practice is where particular attention is paid to
using the tool better, such as sending good CW on a key, rather than on
doing a job with it, such as having a QSO on the air. After all, when
practicing one can make all the mistakes that naturally happen when focusing
on technique without having to apologize to the other person on the air ;-)

Ron AC7AC