Brian,

What you say is true, a soldered connection used in a high vibration application will fail at the point where the solder has wicked up into the (stranded) wire. This is an important consideration in aircraft and other mobile applications.

In ham home station applications where the wire is not subjected to severe vibration, a soldered connection is often more reliable than a crimped connection. That is especially true if the crimping tool is not exactly the proper type for the connector in use. A good crimping tool is a rather expensive tool - it must be matched to the connector and the wire to be crimped. Inexpensive substitutes may work for a while, but will result in a connection that is more unreliable than a soldered connection.

The *real* answer is "it all depends ...".

73,
Don W3FPR