I had also to replace an encoder which was faulty at the outset, however, the dis-assembly of the front panel was very easy and straightforward and only took a few minutes. I don't understand the "difficulty"

de Tom
GM4FDM

Jerry Flanders wrote:
Much more to it than mere inconvenience. I spent hours on the job - diagnosis by disassembling the radio, swapping the encoders, reassembling the radio, verifying the problem followed the encoders, getting a replacement encoder from Elecraft, disassembling the radio, installing the replacement encoder, then reassembling the radio. Most of you guys who assembled the kit know how difficult front panel remove/install is.

I feel that my problem could have been avoided if Elecraft had been testing each individual module before shipping them - mine was DOA, and was likely DOA before shipment. I suggested then that Elecraft should check each and every module before shipment - should be pretty easy to do there on the bench in a test device. I don't know if they are testing them now.

Jerry W4UK