Because of the K3's range between noise contamination of the reading and
non-linearity due to hardware AGC, you will see between 60 and 70 dB of
usable dynamic range in the plot. I see around 70 dB on my K3 with the
hardware AGC modification, whilst Mike sees around 60 dB on his K3 built
before the hardware AGC modification.

The reason for first determining the appropriate manual gain setting is
to set the gain at the point where the test signal just starts to hit
non-linearity in the filter passband. This allows one to use a test
signal of arbitrary strength, instead of saying "apply a test signal of
-50 dBm" which requires a calibrated signal generator or test
oscillator. By adjusting the manual gain using the linearity program you
can use a test signal anywhere between -50 dBm or so up to -20 dBm or
even greater.

Mike and I tried a number of experiments with stitching together pieces
of the plot taken at different gain settings with the thought that the
dynamic range could be extended to 100 dB or more. While I have not
given up on this thought, the K3 has some quirks that make it difficult
to implement without much more thought and tinkering.

Jack K8ZOA