I used LP-Pan for the first time in the WPX contest. I was surprised to see
how the display exploded with signals at the beginning of the contest. Holly
moley, where do they all come from? I like to believe I'm not into
contesting all that much but have to admit I got really caught up in it this
time. I started working all the big blips first and worked my way up 20
meters and then worked my way down on the slightly smaller blips. By the
time I had taken care of all the bigger signals I started concentrating on
the smaller ones. On Sunday morning I saw several signals above 14.110MHz
that turned out to be Asian. Without a spectrum display I probably would
never have tuned that high.
I have the 500Hz and the 8 pole 250Hz filters. More than once during the
contest I uttered to myself, "what a great radio". I kept the filter just
below 250Hz most of the contest and found it amazing that I could easily
work the weaker signals even while being blasted on either side of my
passband by two very strong ones. Two stations would nearly have to be on
top of one another before I couldn't work one of them.
I use MixW for logging - mainly because I'm used to it and the spectrum
display with a marker at 600Hz makes it very easy to zero beat. I think that
may have helped a bit.
I ended up with 360 Q's using 'search and pounce' (or in the case of LP-Pan,
'point and shoot') on 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters.
I don't know how real contesters do it - my butt got so sore that I had to
take a lot of breaks. If I can find a solution to that problem, I will do
even better next time :).

Tom, AK2B