> I also  seem to get the impression that the selected NR setting is not exacty
> the same as the selected  level within in the menu versus turning the DSP  NR
> on and off without entering the menu,  if that makes sense.

The NR is an adaptive filter.  When you turn it off, it is completely
reset: all buffers are flushed and filter coefficients zeroed.

When you move from setting to setting with the NR adjust feature, the
buffers are not flushed nor are the coefficients reset.  Instead, the
new settings are applied to the current state of the filter.  So, it
takes from a few tens of milliseconds to perhaps a couple of seconds for
the filter to adapt to the new settings.

73,

Lyle KK7P