> and might result in higher reliability of that portion of the product?

Not hardly ... last time I visited my mother, I repaired
a pump seal in her 40 year old Westinghouse front loading
washer.  The mechanical timer is still running perfectly
after all these years ... and doing as many as 8 - 10
loads a week while we were growing up.

Those mechanical timer designs came from the commercial
(coin operated) world where they did hundreds of loads
(cycles) a week with nary a failure ... I maintained many
of those machines while working for my dad in high school
and college.

The only advantage of the microprocessors are quick time
to market and the ability to implement water/energy saving
cycles demanded by the enviro-nuts at the cost of EMI
pollution.

The microprocessor controls certainly do not survive in
a surge/spike/lightning rich environment nearly as well
as the properly designed/sized mechanical timers.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV