K4IA wrote:

> The fact it is "2 years on and still much to do"  is good news.  My radio
> started out great (#101) and has just gotten better  without me having to
> buy
> much of anything (think 756, 756Pro, 756ProII,  756ProIII).  I can look
> forward to new innovations every couple of  weeks.   I hope they never
> stop.

I think that this is missing the point. I am happy that new innovations are
appearing in the firmware. I would even be willing to pay for updates
containing new features that I want. The complaint (nit-picking though some
may consider it) by Dave G4AON and a few others is that two years on some
features that were promised in the brochure or documented in the manual are
still not implemented. My criticisms that I emphasized in my review were
that the K3 still has certain fundamental operational deficiencies that
could have been avoided if the designers had looked at how other radios
worked before designing the interface.

If everything worked as expected and we were only getting new features 2
years on I would be delighted.

K4IA wrote:

> While I agree it would be nice to manage that issue in the radio, the
> solution lies in K3-EZ.  Simply store your Digimode TX/RX Equalization
> setups in a memory called "Digimode", your CW setups in a memory called
> "CW", your SSB setups in a memory called "SSB"... You get the picture!
>
> Recall them as you need them.  It takes about 5 seconds to do.

That is not a solution, it is a workaround that should not be necessary. A 5
second operation is no replacement for a simple click of a button. But in
fact it would not take as little as 5 seconds. One presumably would be using
logging and/or datamode software, so you would have to close those programs,
start K3-EZ, wait for it to load, go through the steps you suggest, close
K3-EZ and load your logging or digimode program again.

Why should that cumbersome procedure be necessary when an IC-746PRO, a
TS-2000 and probably many other radios that so many here would sneer at as
being inferior to the K3 do it automatically with the simple selection of
the data mode? Elecraft have known about this for more than a year. People
have been asking for per-mode EQ for a long time, though I'd happily settle
for EQ off in data mode. Lyle has informed me that either option would be
almost the same amount of work.

But while we are waiting and waiting for the K3 to do something that is no
more and no less than what other radios do, we find all kinds of other
things being addressed like improvements to the audio, nice though I'm sure
that is, which have far more recently become an issue.

That's why some of us ask uncomfortable questions like is there a roadmap
for the firmware development, so we can see when the issues that bug us are
going to receive some attention.

It seems to me that the requirements of people who want to exploit all the
possibilities the K3 offers like digimodes, AM and FM are being ignored,
while the improvements requested by the competitive SSB and CW operators get
immediate attention. If that's really what's going on then fine, I'll sell
my K3 and buy an Icom or Kenwood that do FM and digimodes a lot better than
the K3 currently does. But I really get fed up with being told by people who
exclusively use SSB or CW that there is nothing wrong with the K3 and I
should stop complaining about it. It *is* supposed to be an all-mode radio.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html