I'll accept all of that, but it still doesn't change the fact that there
are some rigs out there that generate bad key clicks for no reason other
than the fact that their users either don't realize it or don't care
enough to fix them.

When I first received my Icom 756Pro (now my backup rig) several years
ago I discovered that the default rise/fall times (adjustable in one of
the menus) was set to 2 msec (!). That's unconscionable, but I'll bet
the majority of Icom users never bothered to check it.  Many of the
Yaesu rigs generate horrible key clicks unless their users have
performed a simple hardware modification on them (see the info at W8JI.com).

I operated about 36 hours in the contest this last weekend and made over
a thousand contacts using the 8-pole 250Hz roofing filter.  Many times
I'd be running a frequency within 200 Hz of a S9+30db station without
even knowing he was there.  Other times I'd hear key clicks (loud enough
to cover the dits in callsigns I was trying to copy) from stations I
couldn't even find while tuning with the subreceiver!  One large M/M
operation had great sounding signals on all bands except 15m, where the
key clicks were objectionable two KHz away even when their signal was
S5-S7.  At least in that case they have promised to find the problem and
fix it.

Actually, there is a third reason why some stations have bad key
clicks.  They admit they do it on purpose in a contest because it gives
them more elbow room.

In my experience with the K3 in several major contests since I bought it
last January, the very great majority of bad signals I've heard on the
air have been due to the TX on the other end, not the RX on my end.

73,
Dave   AB7E