On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 08:55:55 -1000, Merv Schweigert wrote:

>Not sure if you checked his signal in the last couple contests?   If so
>you are criticizing a K3 for having monster Klix and SSB splatter.

The exciter is not the ONLY click or trash generator in a station. ANY
non-linear device can produce splatter and clicks. An overdriven power
amp can create clicks and splatter. The most common way that happens is
depending on ALC to reduce the drive to hit the desired TX power. A
poorly tuned power amp will also produce clicks and splatter.

A VERY well known contester and K3 user lives about 15 miles from me.
His clicks and splatter make life miserable for several of his neighbors
including K6RB, K6XX, and me. He's otherwise a nice guy and a member of
our club, but he's long been in denial about the trash on his signal. It
IS better since he converted to K3s a couple of years ago, but his
splatter was 10 kHz wide during SS. Another guy, a casual operator and
sometimes contester, runs a high priced ICOM rig into a high priced
auto-tune power amp. He's also a click generator.

73,

Jim K9YC