Dick,

I experienced this same problem exactly on my SN 888, complete with
intermittency of the symptom. After some consultation with Elecraft tech
support, they sent me a KPAIO3 board -- the board that the KPA3 connects
through
and that contains the 12VDC sensor circuitry. Unfortunately, I haven't been
able
to get to installing it as yet. It's on the list for when I return from holiday
vacation out of town. My bet is that this will cure the problem. I'll let the
list (and Elecraft tech support) know when I swap it out and try it. Should be
first week of January, possibly end of December.

Bill W5WVO