From: Don Wilhelm [mailto:w3...@embarqmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 6:37 PM
To: James Sarte
Cc: 'Elecraft'
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 output buffer modification

James,

What do you propose to measure a 50 uV signal with?  If you have
equipment that will measure levels that low, then well and good, but if
you are expecting to see it on an oscilloscope or RF Probe, you may as
well forget it.  Recall that 50 uV is an S-9 level, and is -73 dBm which
is a very low level to measure.

There are power measurement devices that will detect levels that low,
but most of the commercial ones are priced out of the range of
amateurs.  One that can be homebrewed and will measure levels down to
-80 dBm is the W7ZOI  design using the AD8307 Logarithmic Amplifier as
the front end (see Experimental Methods in RF Design, Measurements
chapter or the QST article from June 2001 p38ff).  To calibrate it, one
must have a known level source of RF at two different levels.  Those
with a calibrated HP8640 signal generator (or similar) will be able to
calibrate that meter with no problem.
For anyone considering building such an instrument, understand that it
must be well shielded.  Stray coupling into the meter will produce
erroneous results.  Mine is in a shielded enclosure with an internal
battery, and even that is not enough, the front end circuits are
shielded from the rest of the assembly.  Yes, it can even measure the
total signal level coming in from an antenna, so it is a good performer
if properly calibrated and is a very sensitive detector.  With the 40 dB
Power Tap, it can accurately measure power levels up to +50 dBm (100
watts), and will work up to 500 MHz with careful construction.  If you
want accurate power measurements, consider building one, but you need
access to a calibrated power source to calibrate it - calibrate at 10
MHz, 50 MHz, 144 MHz and 450 MHz so you have a good idea of the
variation with frequency - there will be some variation.

73,
Don W3FPR

James Sarte wrote:
> Hmm... just out of curiosity, couldn't I measure the IF output using the
XG2