Jack Smith-6 wrote:

> The main reason one might wish to apply the buffer modification to the
> K3 instead of cranking up the LP-Pan gain or purchasing one of my Z10000
> buffer amplifiers is that a somewhat improved noise figure will result
> if the K3's IF output follower loss is reduced. In practice, the
> improvement in noise figure is not huge as the overall NF is set mostly
> by the early gain stages in the K3.

Another reason to reduce transfer loss inside the K3 is that you're not
forced to use the internal PREamplifier to compensate for the loss at IF
OUT.  If you enable PRE to get more output to LP-PAN, you potentially risk
degrading the dynamic range of the K3 itself by applying more gain than
needed to its internal IF chain.

73,  Bill