The LP-Pan has an AD 8007 input amplifier, the same amplifier I use in
the Z10000 buffer amp.

In the LP-Pan, the AD8007's gain is set by a combination of fixed
resistors and a potentiometer. Quickly working through the numbers,
varying the potentiometer from one end to the other results in gain
ranging from +6 dB to +15 dB, net of the 6 dB loss in the series 49.9
ohm resistor. (Measured at the AD8007's output pin, the  gain is 6 dB
above these values, but in order to drive a capacitive load, a series
49.9 ohm resistor is added between the output pin and the load. This
results in 6 dB loss if the load is 50 ohms.)

The main reason one might wish to apply the buffer modification to the
K3 instead of cranking up the LP-Pan gain or purchasing one of my Z10000
buffer amplifiers is that a somewhat improved noise figure will result
if the K3's IF output follower loss is reduced. In practice, the
improvement in noise figure is not huge as the overall NF is set mostly
by the early gain stages in the K3.

Jack K8ZOA